Things You Need to Know about the Safety Use of LEDs

Hey everyone, in today’s article we are going to explore a bit about the safety use of LED lights. Hope it will be of some use to you guys. Let’s dive in!

Are LED lights a fire hazard if left on for long periods?

To be honest, opinions are divided on this. Some insist that bulb of any type is likely to cause electrical fire. Some argue that LED lights can be left on 24/7 due to its extremely low heat output. For concern out of 100% safety, I’d opt for the first opinion. Although LEDs are very energy-efficient, we cannot say 100% that LED lights will never catch fire. Many elements needs to be considered when you are using LED lights. For example, are they made of good or bad quality? Are they being operated under proper or poor condition? Are there too many devices being plugged into a single extension cord? So before we can confirm all these factors, let’s use them in a smart and most importantly environmentally-friendly way.

Is it safe to use fairy lights in a child’s bedroom?

It depends on the child, the lights and where you arrange the lights.

Older children are safer around fairy lights as they are less likely to wrap the strings around their neck or randomly shove bulbs into their mouth.

Lights with CE mark means less of a chance of poisonous plastic or electrical component. So look for products with this mark next time you are choosing LED lights. Reminder that Koopower has already spared you the effort to do the search since all our products have CE credential.

Where you hang the lights also affect the level of safety in your child’s room. Hanging them somewhere out of reach is definitely safer than if you wrap them around the bedstead or simply place on the floor.

Is it safe to put LED lights on wood or plants?

We have already known the quality LED lights don’t catch fire under normal condition, so it is okay to decorate trees or plants with them for a fairy look.

Is it safe to discard LED lights as home waste?

Like all electronic devices, LED bulbs also contain hazardous chemicals like lead, nickle and silver. However, this isn’t something you need to worry about as the amount is so tiny that you can simply ignore. However please do know that these elements are recyclable for re-production process. So it’s strongly suggested that unwanted LEDs be recycled for resource conservation and environment protection concern. As a responsible inhabitant of the planet, please don’t toss them away like regular trash, but contact the local authority about the recycling rules.

2 Likes

This is all very helpful information. Thank you

2 Likes

I think that you guys have really gone to great lengths to ensure the safety of these lights and prevent any fire hazard. The addition of the timer alone allows for the user to specifically designate the amount of time that they wish for their lights to remain on before automatically shutting off. It’s a really great feature

Maria_Dollar it’s very timely information as well cause I had just commented yesterday about the old timey lights from back in the 70’s and what a fire hazard that they were. We had a few close calls with those bulbs back in the day when I was just a kid

1 Like

It’s our pleasure. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah it’s never too much to talk about the safety issue! :smiley:

2 Likes

Exactly! It’s important that people be reminded from time to time how to safely use products in the manner for which they are intended. It’s a great article, but I’ve found that you seem to have a knack for creating interesting and informative content

2 Likes